Batman is certainly one of the most iconic and enduring superheroes in the history of comic books. He goes by all sorts of names, from the Caped Crusader, the Dark Knight, and the World’s Greatest Detective by those who love him. His enemies have call him with less savory names, from simply Bats or the Dork Knight by none other than the Joker. Even if you’re not really into the comic universe, you know who Batman is. “The Dark Knight” trilogy by Christopher Nolan was released in the past decade, and the stellar series has so many amazing quotes and dialogues that just stay with you long after the movie is over. Whatever Batman quotes is always calculated and intentional, so it’s a good idea to look more into what he’s quoted over the years to really get an insight into the mysterious and enigmatic hero that we don’t need but we deserve.
Famous Batman quotes
40. “I have one power. I never give up.”
39. “If you kill a killer, the number of killers in the room remains the same.”
38. “Sometimes the truth isn’t good enough. Sometimes the people need more.”
37. “But as a symbol, as a symbol I can be incorruptible.”
36. “I am whatever Gotham needs me to be.”
35. “I want you to remember, Clark…in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand…at your throat…I want…you to remember…the one man who beat you.”
34. “All men have limits. They learn what they are and learn not to exceed them. I ignore mine.”
33. “Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up.”
32. “Batman has no limits.”
31. “It’s not who I am underneath but what I do that defines me.”
30. “You don’t get it, boy… this isn’t a mudhole… it’s an operating table. And I’m the surgeon.”
29. “Sometimes it’s only madness that makes us what we are.”
28. “I believe in Jim Gordon. I believe in Harvey Dent. I believe in Gotham City.”
27. “There is a difference between you and me. We both looked into the abyss. But when it looked back at us, you blinked.”
26. “You can never escape me. Bullets don’t harm me. Nothing harms me. But I know pain. I KNOW pain. Sometimes I share it. With someone like you.”
He was created by artist Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger. Batman was first introduced in Detective Comics #27 in 1939 and has since then remained one of the most popular characters in the DC universe. His secret identity is Bruce Wayne, a billionaire philanthropist, playboy and the head of Wayne Enterprises. Now why would a young man, heir to a billion dollar enterprise, don on a bat suit and run around Gotham catching crooks and solving crime? It all goes back to the moment when young 8-year-old Bruce sees his parents, Dr. Thomas and Martha Wayne, get brutally shot down before his own eyes by a common street criminal. It was a severely traumatic experience that stuck with Bruce forever. Right then, he made a resolve to himself to dedicate his life to fighting crime.
As a wealthy child, he had almost everything in his access. So he started doing his best to achieve the goal he set for himself. He excelled at school, and is shown to have genius-level intellect. In fact, he graduated at just the age of 14, after which he went to many prestigious colleges around the world to learn more about the sciences or anything to make him sharper and stronger. He also trained physically, and went through brutal exercises to become what he envisioned to be.
Bruce Wayne then trained with martial arts masters all over the world. He has mastered many kinds of martial arts, making him one of the best hand-to-hand combat fighters in the DC universe. He trained in the remote lands in the East, learning methods to have total control over his mind. This makes him immune to mind control and telepathy. In the Dark Knight trilogy, he is shown to have trained with Ra’s al Ghul, who heads the League of Shadows. Batman goes on to destroy the league’s temple instead of kill a thief as instructed for his final task.
Some might argue that Batman is not really a superhero, since he has no special superpowers. But the level of physical and mental agility and power he has is well beyond what an average person can ever achieve in a lifetime. His endless wealth does help, giving him access to advanced technology and equipment like the Batmobile and the Batcave. He is also a master of disguise, multilingual and a master of gathering information. But it is his ability to always be one step ahead; to always have a contingency plan for everything, no matter what, that really makes him one of the best out there. Even Superman has admitted in many occasions that Batman is the “the most dangerous man on the planet”, and one of the most brilliant minds on Earth.
Some of the most memorable performances of the character have been done by Christian Bale in the Dark Knight trilogy. While other actors like George Clooney, Val Kilmer and Michael Keaton have taken on the role of the Caped Crusader, perhaps none have done it so well as Christian Bale. The trilogy by Nolan has set the bar quite high, and the current movies with Ben Affleck are struggling to meet it. But all of this would never have taken place without Adam West and his role as the Batman.
Best Batman Quotes From The Dark Knight Trilogy
25. “A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy’s shoulders to let him know that the world hadn’t ended.”
24. “Because he’s the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we’ll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he’s not our hero. He’s a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Knight.”
23. “What were you trying to prove, that everyone is as ugly and twisted as you are on the inside?”
22. “You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.”
21. “You wanted me here, here i am.”
20. “This city just showed you that its full of people, ready to believe in good.”
19. “You’re not the devil. You’re practice.”
18. “Well, a guy who dresses up as a bat clearly has issues.”
17. “Sometimes people deserve to have their faith rewarded.”
16. “Bats frighten me. It’s time the world share my dread.”
15. “I fear dying here, while my city burns, and there’s no one there to save it.”
14. “Tell me where the trigger is. Then…you have my permission to die.”
13. “If this man is everything that you say he is, then this city needs me.”
12. “I’m not afraid. I’m angry.”
11. “Well, I grew up in Gotham, and I turned out all right.”
The character that West played was really different than the dark and enigmatic detective shown in the comics. West’s Batman was truly exaggerated, and the entire show, broadcast on ABC, was really campy, colorful and almost a comedy. But that is exactly what was needed in the time. The war had just ended, and people were looking for escapist shows that put their minds away from war, fighting and death.
The show, with its Dynamic duo, exaggerated acting and comedy got some backlash from hardcore fans, but overall, it was a hit, and it made Batman even more popular in the comic book universe as well. This was good, as comic book sales were seeing a drop. More and more people were starting to see comic books as unsophisticated, so the popularity of the show really helped the character keep afloat. It wasn’t until the 80’s that Batman’s campy character was rebooted and brought back again to the grim crime fighter we know him as today.
The Dark knight trilogy has wonderfully shown how Batman came to be, who he is and how he works. Here are some of the quotes from the Dark Knight himself to better understand what he really is inside.
Of course, since Batman as one of the most interesting rogue galleries in the entire comic universe, so this list would be incomplete without including some of their amazing as well as chilling quotes as well.
Best villain’s quotes from the Dark Knight trilogy
10. “When it is done, and Gotham is… ashes… then you have my permission to die.” Bane
9. “I was wondering what would break first: your spirit, or your body!” Bane
8. “It would be extremely painful… for you.” Bane
7. “You do not fear death. You welcome it. Your punishment must be more severe.” Bane
6. “Oh, so you think darkness is your ally? But you merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn’t see the light until I was already a man, by then to me it was only blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me.” Bane
5. “No one cared who I was, until I put on the mask.” Bane
4. “Uhh, you…you just couldn’t let me go, could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible, aren’t you? Huh? You won’t kill me, out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness… and I won’t kill you, because you’re just too much fun! I think you and I are destined to do this forever.” Joker
3. “Funny thing is, I much prefer a knife to a gun. It’s hard to get precision from guns. I manage but it took some doing. You understand. I can tell. Few do.” Joker
2. “You think all this can last? There’s a storm coming Mr Wayne. You and your friends better batten down the hatches ’cause when it hits, you’re all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.” Catwoman
1. “Never steal from someone you can’t outrun, kid.” Catwoman
Batman certainly has one of the most interesting rogue galleries in the whole scene. Their quotes all reflect their origins and their perspectives about the world, and it does make you question your own morals, since some of them cab be relatable to us in real life.
Don’t forget to SHARE this with all your friends!